View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 12:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
Part of me thinks the causeway would remain as Scenic Rte 4 even with a new crossing. The causeway has created an ice-free harbour for Port Hawkesbury and Melford, so there could be more economic implications there on its removal, seeing as Port Hawesbury handles high volumes of bulk cargo and the ice-free harbour was a selling point for the Melford container terminal proposal.

As for the non-native animals, they usually get killed by traffic before they make it across.
I agree, the existing causeway would have to remain because of the (artifical) ice free harbour at Port Hawksbury.

If a new link is built to CB, I imagine it would be a bridge. I have a feeling that a new causeway might be the more expensive option. It seems to me that the existing causeway is (was) the deepest one in the world when it was constructed. It took half of Porcupine Mountain for the fill.

A bridge would likely be cheaper and if the existing causeway is maintained, local rte. 4 and the rail line could still continue to use it.

How much traffic is using this rail line at present now anyway?