View Single Post
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
Yeah, me too. We complained about the movies costing 8 bucks. Someone told me recently they paid 13 dollars! I haven't kept up with movie prices. Last movie I saw in a "Movie" was Independence Day...so you know how long that's been. If the Movies weren't so damn expensive, maybe they could have held on for a little while longer.
The Avengers was $11 at the Rave. I mean it's not bad I guess. $13 now is probably less than $8 was ten years ago. I don't think the high ticket charge is really hindering anything, I think it's actually cheaper than it would be if people wanted to go to the movies more often. Concession prices are what is insane, but they always have been.

On a positive note I was actually surprised that The Avengers sold out. I guess as long as Hollywood keeps making blockbusters, theaters will stay relevant.

The unfortunate thing for theaters like the Boyd, those that still exist anyway, is that they don't seem to land the best movies. I don't know a lot about the industry, so I don't know why that is.

As beautiful as they are and as much as I would have liked to see a movie at the Boyd, once the lights go down, I want a big screen and a comfortable seat. Sad as it is, I think a lot of the commotion surrounding the preservation of sites like this is either hindsight or 11th hour advocacy. More can be said for the Boyd than others, so it's a bad example, but when an active historic theater gets demolished (or any nostalgic landmark for that matter - Li'l Pete's comes to mind), I always ask, "well where were all these people for the past ten years?"