View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I disagree.

Here are a park and plaza right next to each other. You'll note that the plaza is a windswept monstrosity, barely if ever used, and that the park--despite its renown--is no great shakes, either. Another plaza just to the south is being rebuilt into a nicer park. Nearly everybody in the area agrees, however, that that f**king plaza has got to go.
I won't launch into anything redundant here, but I will say this. You can't compare Philadelphia to Chicago. Philadelphia has a much shorter and warmer winter for starters. It also has very different CBD patters. But most of all, your argument is based upon a dedicated city park in the middle of downtown Philadelphia, a civic centerpiece that naturally attracts people. Chicago, in this case especially, is comparable only against itself. And in this case, the building's location and site placement predicate everything. Because the tower's location, anything with seating areas will see heavy use, park or plaza alike. My only point, in the most simplest way of saying it, is that I think this tower-in-park design is ugly and would look better as a hardscaped, well designed plaza that matches the modern aesthetic of the building itself.