View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 1:48 AM
Always A Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
find the web site "The Ruins of Detroit." there's a couple (maybe more) in ruins in there.

-
I'm a member of DetroitYES.

Most of the abandoned plants there had other uses after the automakers left or are from automakers defunct for 50 years. Even Piquette, that LMich posted, housed some ghetto meat market long after Ford left the facility. If within a few years the automakers didn't find a buyer it usually tore down the facility. In fact off the top of my head I can think of several plants once operated in Detroit, that have been torn down in my lifetime (I'm only 23).

Chrysler World Headquaters torn down in the mid 1990s
Dodge (located near the same area where LMich posted his pics) torn down in the mid 80s
Fisher/Cadillac plant on Fort St torn down mid 1990s
Connor Ave Stamping torn down late 80s early 90s
Some other Chrysler plant off of Connor in the early 90s (rebuilt as Jefferson North Assembly - i.e. where they assemble the Jeep Grand Cherokee)
Mound Engine torn down in the last few years
Ford Rouge - old parts torn down in the last few years and Replaced with a new plant

Toledo
Old Wily's plant where Chrysler made the Jeep Wrangler (demolished in the last few years and new plant in a new location where they also make the Jeep Liberty)

Flint
See left-wing nut Michael Moores Roger & Me for all of the old plants GM tore down