View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2018, 8:47 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
HDRC document (public record) for Frost Tower: https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...0-1763742D8A1D

Page 57 of the application includes a signed and sealed construction drawing. (I don't know legalities of just clipping a portion of the drawing and including it here)
Thank you! That was awesome.

So, according to that the heights are:

385 feet 9 inches (386 feet) to the top of the crown.

366 feet 3 inches to the top of the mechanical penthouse roof.

356 feet 10 inches to the elevator machine room.

346 feet 9 inches to the tower roof (this is the main roof).

331 feet 6 inches to level 24.

317 feet 3 inches to level 23.

-

One thing I did notice, is that we've been hearing/reading that the building will have 23 occupied floors, but these elevations show it with 24 floors under the roof. Surely, that must be an occupied office floor. I kind of doubt they'd need to dedicate a whole floor to mechanical equipment. One fear I have is that the building was originally planned with 24 floors, but that they eliminated it somewhere in design/development, which would make the building shorter by losing that floor. I guess we'll have to wait and see until after it tops out so we can count the floors. I think it's more likely that the media reported on 23 floors because that's what the architect/developer told them would be occupied office floors, and we've been assuming that any additional mechanical levels would have to be above the main roof, but that isn't always the case. They can be within the tower under the main roof. In fact, in taller buildings, there can be multiple mechanical levels within the building handling elevator transition floors, especially in mixed use buildings where the top floors are something like hotel or residential with office floors on the lower levels.

Even if the 24th floor is not an occupied space, I would say the building should be listed with 24 floors since that floor is contained under the main roof. It's not a mechanical penthouse (cab) that sticks up above the main roof, it's a whole floor just like the other ones are.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; May 18, 2018 at 7:09 AM.