View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
A really fascinating story indeed. Especially since the LA Soap Co. remained all the way into the late 80's. I think the article you shared mentioned their factory being at the corner of 1st & Alameda, where the Little Tokyo Gold Line station is now. Makes sense, as I have a picture in my collection (that has been posted here before) which indicates 633 E. 1st Street as an address.
Following my last post on the L.A. Soap Co. I ran into conflicting info on their site which reflected there was 15 buildings on three acres not a 15 acre site. I also ran into a interesting newspaper article on the "farewell" party given Bergin just prior to taking what was to be a vacation trip to his native Ireland. The article listed the surnames of dozens of men and women whom I suspect would have been among the "movers and shakers" of 1880s-1890s Los Angeles. I thought about posting the article and challenging the participants here to locate their individual homes along with possibly pictures. And before I forget, Bergin fell ill in Ireland and passed away there.