View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Glad to hear that. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Seattle PD and Health Dept. regularly evict camps and do clean ups of large or seemingly out of control encampments? I know that happens in other NW cities, but it is kind of like playing whack a mole in many instances. I hope Austin authorities will have the legal authority to do the same. The new ordinance is rather vague in that regard. Our reactionary Governor Abbott has already indicated that he and his Repug legislature will over-ride the Austin ordinance at the first opportunity. That won't happen until the next session of the leg meets in a year and a half since the state leg only meets every other year. That's right, the second most populous state has a legislature that meets every other year unless a special session is called. Usually we regard that as a blessing.
In general, I can't stand Gov Abbott or any of the Texas GOP, but if Abbott can save Texas cities from the filth from the camps, I'll vote for him if he runs again. Everyone has hot button issues. This is one of mine. I like a clean environment (I spent a career in that field), and I'll be damned if I'll stand by and let this happen to our cities (any more than it already has).