View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
We're even seeing camps setting up under freeways in affluent areas of Austin, notably the Arboretum area. The trash and debris are building up. I feel that the mayor and city council should go out daily and clean up all the garbage all over Austin from these camps. Even the intersections are getting trashed out. It's becoming a political issue, and although I have generally supported the mayor and council, I will vote against every one of them next time.

Yesterday, one of the transients was blocking traffic on Capital of Texas by the Arboretum, and when motorists started yelling at him, he yelled even more and stood right in front of the vehicles, causing quite a jam.

Austin may seem like an easy going place, but I don't know anyone who is happy about these camps and all the garbage strewn about.
I'm afraid that our wonderful system of hike and bike and running trails is going to get trashed. That seems to be a favorite setting for homeless camps in the Pacific Northwest. Take a tour on YouTube for a first hand look. Olympia, WA, seems to be especially hard hit. Here is a two year old clip about a camp not far from my house in SW Austin. This camp was/is deep in the woods, but soon they are going to be setting up tents right along the pathways and trails because it is now legal as long as traffic is not obstructed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfeYIF8jJ3k