View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 4:57 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopysheep View Post
here's a question for you all.... i live in the beltline about 1.5 blocks from a Macs and Tim Hortons ( well honestly i live about 2 blocks from a bunch of macs and time hortons.. LOL ) and i have a 9.5yr old and a 7 year old... both street smart... would you let them go to the store by themselves??
Speaking as a childless monster, but as someone who understands statistics well - possibly. If they went together, I don't see why not, but 7 is a bit young to be wandering around alone (kids can get lost).

Contrary to popular belief the chance of anything actually happening to them is just about zero. They're far more likely to be hurt/killed while you're driving them around. Last stats I saw in terms of stranger abductions in Canada - 5 in a year. 5. In a country of 30 million. Hundreds if not thousands of kids get taken every year, but the number that actually get taken by strangers - 5. The rest are all by family/friends.

Hell, they're more likely to get struck by lightning (although the exact numbers for that escape me at the moment).