View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 8:18 PM

There's always a reason for these types of discussions to begin. So I'm sure someone already has plans for the site. Too bad this didn't coincide with the Spurs needing a new arena (but that's another story).

Anyway, the answer to to this site seems obvious to me. Incorporate the area into the convention center. They are going to want to expand at some point; expanding south seems to make better sense than using old SAWS site. There's a lot to work with to be able to attract all sizes of conventions. Wouldn't it be cool to have a courtyard/park in the middle of your convention center? Or on top?

I think the old SAWS site would be perfect for some type of transit center. A giant parking garage with drop-off and pick-up areas for buses, trolleys, taxis, bike taxis and rickshaws (if they dare). It's right next to the main east-west downtown streets and with easy access to IH 35/37/10 and near the rail line next to Sunset Station. And give those downtown workers deep monthly discounts on parking.