View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
Well, Brisavoine, I agree with your post though I must confess that among the 11 pictures you posted, none are of the city proper. I guess it's hard to show the "real NYC" with no pictures of Manhattan.
Well, most New Yorkers live in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, so in a way you could say that Manhattan is not the "real" New York. Rows of houses in Brooklyn would certainly reflect better the life of most New Yorkers. But then it's also true that most jobs are still concentrated in Manhattan, so Manhattan is still the epitome of New York (for lack of a better word), at least during the day.

In Paris not only the overwhelming majority of Parisians live outside of the city proper, but the City of Paris has also lost its lead in terms of jobs. Back 30 years ago most of the jobs were still concentrated in the city proper, but this is not true anymore. The City of Paris has even been passed by the only inner suburbs (i.e. not even counting the outer suburbs). According to the latest figures (January 2006), there are 1,653,551 jobs in the City of Paris vs. 1,931,835 in the inner suburbs (which include La Défense).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
That's also part of the reality, and actually, even more considering that central districts are those which are the most shared by everyone.
Actually, no. I'd say what's most shared by the 11 million inhabitants of the metropolis are the suburban freeways. I know you live in the central part of Greater Paris, so you have this vision of things, but you should know that a lot of the 7 million+ people who don't live in the central part rarely go to central Paris. I know people living in the western suburbs who go to central Paris like once a year. This is not to say that central Paris is not vibrant. It has a unique vibrancy of course, but the metropolis is so spread out that I wouldn't say the central districts are more representative of the metropolis than the suburban areas I showed above.