View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I didn't support demolition of the historic buildings facing Main St.

I don't see this having a happy ending. When everything is said and done I think the whole city will regret tearing down the historic buildings AND not building a tower larger than the 5/3rd Blue Building.
Anytime historic buildings that aren't totally decrepit and/or dangerous (e.g. if the foundations were built out of pure lead and asbestos LOL) are lost its not a good thing. I'm a big supporter of renewing old buildings that have architectural and urban character. That aspect of the planning on this is sad to hear.

However, you can't let that ruin the entire project. What is done can't be undone, but so long as this project is built as expected then the block will have been replaced with a massive project that is beautiful in its own right. The worst thing is when older buildings are destroyed and nothing replaces them, or some hideous strip mall goes up.

I rather like the clean, modern design and the multiple building aspect. Lexington is the type of city that a super tall may be a bit pre-mature. There's no harm in bulking up the downtown with more structures of value rather than trying to focus on one giant "new tallest" type building. I do think its sad that it had to replace older buildings, but in and of itself this project is very nice. Then again, I'm a fan of modern design. I tend to admire both older and newer architecture and have never really been turned off by either.