View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 5:02 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
This begs the question: What's the new Federal Courthouse going to be like? They are at a severe deficit space-wise and generally compel building something to last 50+ years through growth. Their design standards are generally canon and overrule local design standards. I like the ones in Seattle and Portland. The Portland one more, of course, but the Seattle one looks like it has a giant cat face when lit up at night!

Anyway, back to the topic... I think we keep the old houses, centralize the plaza theme, add more grass, integrate the future River North streetcar to prevent the need for more roads and build mixed-use.
The new courthouse should be a real treat. High ceilings, small footprint, and 50+ years of functionality....that should make it a pretty tall building. Maybe we could have a giant chupacabra face on it at night...

As for HemisFair, i would hope for much more green space. And I don't need dedicated soccer fields and softball diamonds. Maybe one basketball court, but the grass should just be grass...Allow the vast space to be used however residents want to. At Woodlawn Lake Park on a Sunday afternoon, there are any number of impromptu soccer games, pickup bball games, picnics, frisbee throwing, kite flying, and leisurely dog walks going on. And the 1.3 mile trail around the park is packed with joggers and walkers.

Something like that would work in Hemisfair. A dedicated place for the jogger and lots of open space. You can always add dedicated fields later as the populace demands, but you can't take them away as easily if they are underutilized.

The art scattered around the grounds is nice so perhaps we could sort of place it along a path on the periphery, creating an art walk of some sort, with space for future additions.