View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 6:49 PM

The first house I bought was in '45 and I lived there from '00 to '09. I lived off of Cooper lane between Mathews and W. Cannon.

I really like my street but as a while the area let me down. I was hoping for a faster rate of change but the only retail improvement in almost a decade was the opening of the Newflower grocery store. The area is still dominated by huge 6 lane mini highways like W. Cannon and Slaughter that are not pedestrian or bike friendly at all. My bike ride to work was only 5 miles as the crow flies but over 6 taking the bike routes. I did love the 110 express going north on S. First Street and into Downtown.

Gentrification has occurred but it is a mild form and much more transitional. A lot of the old timers worked at the old Bergstrom base, and are much more redneck (not a bad thing) than the younger generation. One of my best friends in the old neighborhood was an Aggie, something that probably wouldn't happen in Hyde Park. My Aggie friend still can't believe that he has two lesbian couples living close to him so I guess the neighborhood has changed.

The houses in '45 were "family-sized" when built in the 60s and 70s, but right now they are perfect for singles and couples who don't have a lot of stuff and kids and want to live more simply.

I do not regret moving to the Holly neighborhood. Only downsides are all the loose dogs and lack of a good Chinese restaurant..............Your first house should probably never be your last one.