View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Have you travelled much? Winnipeg is one of the cleanest cities I’ve been to, all over the world. This of course is except for when the snow melts in spring and it takes some time to get cleaned up. It’s been an exceptionally long, slow, cold melt this year - and very windy - so it’s delayed the cleanup process.

Also, just about every BIZ has volunteer cleanup days that generally get good turnout, and take pride winnipeg does work as well.
Ummmmm...... have you travelled recently?!

Everywhere you drive, where you can see a road ditch, there is a good collection of trash. Up McGillivray, Perimeter highway, Bishop Grandin, parts of Pembina, by the airport, and especially around South Pointe there is an unacceptable amount of trash. I have actually been to third world countries this year and I have actually seen with my own freaking eyes what it means to live in a dirty city and Winnipeg does NOT by any means come close to achieving a level of cleanliness that we should be achieving based on our infrastructure and education.

Every city, no matter what, has its blights but our litter problem is very wide-spread throughout the city which makes it hard to detect but it's like slowly boiling a frog to death; we won't notice it until it's very drastic. And being buried under snow for 6 months never helps either. In comparison to other cities, Winnipeg is a dirty city especially when you compare it internationally taking into account the infrastructure and education of the population. We don't have extreme poverty or crumbling infrastructure like Brazil or India, so what is our excuse here?!

Sure I can throw a bone to the city by saying that this dry, dry, dry spring is highlighting all of the trash. But why do we need to wait for it to rain before we start cleaning up? If we are not going to properly invest in useful public transportation, if we are not going to invest in developing our city's/province's economy (in some way), and if we are going to continue to put "band-aids" on this city's problems instead of properly fixing them; then we should at least be living in a relatively clean city.