View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 8:51 PM
TL;DR

^ Interesting. I know Division St is set to be widened between Kingsbury and the Kennedy Expwy. I wonder if it's infrastructure work related to that?

Otherwise there was a retail proposal for that corner a few years ago, some kind of weird vertical mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the construction is for a gas station
Oh dang okay. This kinda sucks, but on the other hand this is already a super auto-centric intersection. Probably a lost cause. And we have been losing downtown gas stations slowly so it's expected we'd see a new one eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I know this was part of UIC's long-term master plan, but the rendering is new to me, and I don't think it was ever posted here before. I like the design, personally.
Yeah, this is a cool design. I don't love how it attaches like a barnacle to Walter Netsch's awesome Science & Engineering Building, though. UIC has plenty of parking lots they could develop before wedging buildings in awkwardly like this. It does seem like Booth Hansen is treating Netsch's work as respectfully as they can, though... I like this atrium built in the interstitial space, where they treat Netsch's prism-shaped column like a sculpture.