View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 3:46 AM
Meh

I guess if people believe they've found god there, then that's fine. Whatever makes them happy. But I have a problem handing over money to just any cause. The church I had gone to as a child with my family built a larger building a few miles away near Oak Hill. It's bigger, more modern, more fancy. And we haven't gone. Unfortunately after they built the new building they went bankrupt. Also one of the founding pastors retired. They had to sell the original building a quarter mile from my house. My parents were married there, my brother and sister and I were baptized there. My dad and uncle's funerals were held there. And we went there at least every Christmas for the Christmas service. So there's a lot of family memories there and it's a real shame that it's closed. A new church bought the building. Even my aunt, who while liberal, was religious and volunteered at the church often and attended church every Sunday. Since the new church was opened and the old building sold, she hasn't gone to the new one. I have to say, even though I'm not religious, I do miss those family get-togethers. I guess I'm a bit disenfranchised with church, at least for now.