View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 3:58 AM
Fourth and Main

I apologize for not posting an update in a long time. This is the latest:

The city entered a contract, costing $699,656 (80% is federal money), with HDR in September to conduct an Alternatives Analysis. According to the city government report, "Any transit project pursing federal funds must go through certain studies before it can be considered." The first study is called Alternative Analysis. We can expect the results next summer. The next steps in the process are an environmental impact statement and finally, preliminary engineering. I'm guessing this could take until 2014 or 2015 before we see any construction. City officials want the streetcar in place before 2018; when the East-West Expressway is closed to traffic for two years. The state is completely rebuilding the East-West Expressway and adding custom designed bridges by famous bridge designers, bike infrastructure on the bridges, sculptures and other artsy features for both safety and to help promote the city as The City of Arts & Innovation. Both projects (Creative Corridors and the Streetcar) are exciting to follow.