View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
I visited Paris for a week and did not encounter a single rude local. Granted, I learned a little french and always tried to initially engage in french, but I found everyone I met to be welcoming, helpful, and friendly. Definitely left me with a very positive impression of Parisians.
I think it's always inaccurate to generalize the behavior of locals as if it was an accepted stereotype, but this might be a helpful step to do here in Paris proper (other regions in the country may be easier in that respect).
You don't have to actually speak the language, but at least know about the common polite phrases to get engaged in any random but useful interaction to the people in the streets.
For instance, something like:

Bonjour, je cherche mon chemin, mais je ne parle pas français.
Hi, I'm looking for my way but can't speak French.

Certainly can be useful in an ordinary situation when you feel a bit lost. Keep in mind that the inner city is some sort of maze, even to locals, oftentimes.
Then most people would say - ah ouais, celui-là au moins a fait quelques efforts (ok, that one did at least a little bit of efforts), and would feel some empathy for you.
Then they'd try to help you in English much more willingly.

There's just a couple of French key formulas/sentences to be aware of, then almost no one would ever act as an asshole to you.
In particular, if you can admit in French that you can't speak it, most people will forgive you for that. Lol. Just because they're reasonable.
But you'll have to say it in French, so it feels cuter to them.