View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
seems the difference is you think office towers are the only measure of change....great cities can be built without glass towers.

more than 2000 residential units have been built downtown winnipeg in the last five years...the downtown population has grown by 50% and is now larger than it has ever been in history....four residential towers are under construction right now....there are a dozen new buildings on waterfront drive, the CMHR, convention centre, ALT/STANTEC, Red River College Princess Campus, Union Tower Campus, A massive expansion of the U of W. warehouse conversions into high end lofts in too many buildings to list. Avenue Building, Buhler building, APTN, Central Park, MTS Centre and Eaton's Powerhouse, the MET theatre...new field house under construction at the redeveloped home of Sport manitoba.....never mind the biggest building in the city, Manitoba Hydro.

The exchange district is a completely different place from ten years ago....thousands of new residents, dozens of new restaurants, shops, offices...

If you can't see huge change in downtown, you are not looking.

The 2000 units built in the last 5 years and the 1000 more under construction is equal to 19 twenty storey towers...we just do it differently here.

I know you are just trolling, but your claims are baseless.
I assure you I am not "trolling". Much of what has occurred downtown has been government-funded. Do you not find it interesting that even with all of the new residents, there is still no grocery store downtown, while downtown Hamilton has one? The lack of private investment in downtown Winnipeg is worth being the topic of a university thesis. My point is that what you and I consider renewal differs. I can appreciate the projects you cited, but what we do not seem to see much of is wholesale change. An example would be the Bag Lofts. A wonderful project it may be, but nothing else around it is being redeveloped. New sidewalks and a repaved Alexander Ave would go a long way in improving the aesthetics of the area. 242 Princess is a blight, old bag Werier will not clean her building, and there are too many empty lots and underutilized buildings such as 206 to 216 Princess.

"2000 units built in the last five years"? You mean ten years. "50%" growth downtown? You mean 15%. And I am not sure what calculations you used to get 19 twenty storey towers

Last edited by Urban recluse; Oct 27, 2015 at 6:06 PM.