View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 2:05 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Moncton Flight College losing 21 people

The Moncton Flight College was placed in receivership on Feb. 14 by Ernst & Young as a result of financial difficulties. After a week of negotiations, a deal was reached for CANLink Aviation to purchase the assets of the college and take over its operation. In the process, the college will make the transformation from a not-for-profit organization into a for-profit business. CANLink was already a partner with the college and ran the Fredericton campus of the college as a franchise business. CANLink CEO Mike Tilley says 21 positions were lost, but at the same time 65 positions were saved at the college.

I was quite suspect when I saw this acquisition. Being quite familiar with these types of arrangements I would guess this is the first step towards closing the Moncton school and centralizing in Fredericton. I am guessing that CANLink acquired the company for its assets and made agreements to keep a certain number of jobs for a predetermined timeframe. From a business perspective it makes little sense to run two distinct operations.

Not sure if this is significant however.
Not sure why you would assume a centralization in Fredericton?? The whole reason the Fredericton campus was created is because the Moncton campus could no longer handle the student load...aka if the Moncton campus (much larger) cannot handle the students on its own...how could the Freddy campus hope to?

The air traffic created by either of the campuses is massive and I dont think it would be feasable to combine them into a single airport any longer. Also, if they were to do so why would they chose the smaller campus with the smaller airport and the less experienced staff?

In any regard I personally know someone who works there (I work next door to them) and I know they are just doing some belt tightening as the previous owners were not as concerned with running the school like a proper profit earning business...

He says they have been assured the school isn't going anywhere, and will continue to grow...