View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2006, 5:37 AM
TEH KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonW
About 10 years ago, the S-R also did a special multi-part story and analysis on the amount of state spending by way of comparing the metro Seattle area to metro Spokane. I don't remember the ratios exactly, but metro Seattle had a population of about 3:1 over Spokane, but State spending was something on the order of $10 in Seattle for every $1 in Spokane. Those numbers could be off a bit, but the discrepency was incredible.
It would be interesting if you could find the numbers. But I think you're a bit off with the population ratio? In the 2000 census, Metro Seattle had 3.5 million people and Spokane was less than 500,000, so I think the population ratio was more like 7-8:1. If so, then the numbers would be about the same as the ones am I remembering, with Spokane getting ~75 cents for every dollar it sends to the state govt and Seattle getting 99 cents.

Quote:
There is a simple way to eliminate the power imbalance that exists in Washington State. Both houses of our legislature are elected by population. As a result, representatives from the region bordered by Puget Sound to the West, the Cascades on the East, Everett to the North and Olympia to the South, can control both chambers of the legislature. If the Washington State Constitution were changed to provide that each County in the state had the same number of Senators then Pugopolis would control one chamber and the rest of the State would control the other. If this concept sounds familiar...that's because it's worked on the Federal level for 207ish years.
Well, considering the Supreme Court made that illegal, you're gonna have to keep dreaming.

But really, that is a horrible idea. 2,000 people in Garfield County having as much representation as nearly 2 million in King County?

We'd never let you get away with it, mwahaha.