View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:06 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I have heard the opposite.

With more and more businesspeople working from home or in smaller remote offices the convention has become a great tool for networking with clients and other businesses.

Going are the days of huge head offices filled with salespeople that are constantly traveling out from there. Instead you have the country littered with regional salespeople handling their local clients and telecommuting into their head offices.

While numbers conference attendance dropped during the crash of 2008-2009, things appear to be stronger than ever now.
Interesting -- I guess I need to stop listening to these dubious sources:

- Steven Malanga, "Have We Got a Convention Center to Sell You!" Wall Street Journal (Dec. 31, 2011).

- Heywood T. Sanders, "Convention Myths and Markets: A Critical Review of Convention Center Feasibility Studies,"
Economic Development Quarterly (2002).

- Robert A Baadea, Robert Baumannb and Victor A Mathesonc, "Rejecting 'Conventional' Wisdom: Estimating the Economic Impact of National Political Conventions," Eastern Economic Journal (2009)

- Don Bauder, "The Convention Center Liars," San Diego Reader (Dec. 14, 2011).

Bear in mind, Steven Malanga is just another bearded, fixie-riding creative class hipster dreamer who thinks every building should be from 1906 and have haberdasheries and artisanal coffee shops on the groundfloor. So don't listen to him.