View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 2:53 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I don't really think it would boost tourism that much. I mean, how many people really want to visit a 2+ mile long jetty? I think more people like that you can look out onto the water, like it was an ocean, than would like seeing a wind farm blocking the horizon. I also think people like Millennium Park because it's so accessible - right in the middle of the city, with "L" stations 1, 2 and 3 blocks away and a dozen bus lines. People would have to walk half a mile just to see this thing, and to really see the "coolness" factor of it, they'd have to be up high, and at least three months out of the year it would be totally unusable and another three almost unusable. Take the money and spend it on fixing Lake Shore Drive or starting the Clinton Street Subway or making BRT work or luring companies from other cities (and countries) to locate offices here in Chicago.
I think people would come just to see it, even it is is from the lake front. I know if something like this was built in another city, I'd probably go see it.

and this would only obstruct the view about a mile of Chicago's 26 miles of lake front.

Another concern would be water pollution from all of the boats. If they're talking 10,000 boats in such a small area, that could cause a problem.