View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
I agree with this in principle. And I think miaht has it right about the entertainment that could be built downtown as a chicken and egg situation with more living/working options there...

But let's be clear that a SuperBowl is such a tiny possibility for San Antonio, it is basically silly to even talk of it. No NFL team is coming here without the promise of a new stadium. The Alamodome is nowhere near even being a temporary home for the NFL (the MLS is a different story).

So, here is the series of dominos that need to fall:

- Guarantee an NFL team a new stadium (Imagine that vote)
- Win vote and get promised an NFL team as a result (we are currently no better than the 3rd option for expansion/relocation)
- Build said stadium (3-5 year process)
- Host several years of games (Dallas' new stadium is opening 2009 and hosting SuperBowl in 2011)
- Host SuperBowl

So, what are we talking about here? 2020? 2025? If that?

And at the current cost of a new stadium (almost $1 Billion), is that really something we want around here?
I guess talk of the SB was me getting a little carried away with a little daydreaming, but you're right that MLS wouldn't be too much of a stretch in the next couple of years. I do think (realisitcally)that NFL could be here by 2025; if alot of the right things happen in the next 15 years.
Even baseball stadiums are over half a billion so even that has a hefty price tag.
But the "grand plans" are definitely a step in the right direction.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925