View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 9:36 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
As the developing world develops, it’s only going to get worse for the US and Europe. Africa is rapidly industrializing, China and much of East Asia outside of Japan are increasing their quality of life. Latin America will eventually see a turn-around.

It’s an interesting topic too, considering that a lot of people in the Western World don’t want people from the developing world to come here and compete with them for resources. Yet, the West may need these people to maintain growth.

It’s gonna be interesting how things will progress this century. As for the future domestic growth of the US, I am now solid in my belief that the non-Hispanic White population will be a minority while Latinos will take their place. I’ve seen many babies and kids during my time doing a rotation at a pediatric clinic and most of my patients are probably of Mexican descent. Yeah, this is just in Southern California, but I can see the trend projected across the country. Even as the US declines a bit, it will not be the same country that the older generation knew.
Agree on all of your points. I didn't see it coming just a few years ago but the US is looking more and more like Europe demographically. TFR is heading well below replacement, population growth is tanking, and the ability to plug that demographic hole with immigrants is limited.

Judging by the social upheaval occurring in the US you'd never know that the non-Hispanic white population in the US were still in the majority. It gives one pause for thought. When they dip close to 50% and then lower, things might go from terrible to worse. On second thought, maybe I'm wrong. California's social cohesion doesn't seem any worse than states like Ohio.