View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
There are just over half a million people on the Canadian side of the border with Detroit within 50 miles, so this would bump Detroit’s numbers to about 5.17 million.
If you go by 100 km or 62.17 mi radius for Detroit you include Toledo, Flint & Port Huron - Sarnia not to mention Chatham - Kent - Lemington in Ontario you come up with ~6.4 million. I've always felt that Metro Detroit's population numbers have never been fairly calculated first and foremost is the international border. Although population across international borders isn't included anywhere in the US the example of the region being split almost in two is quite stark here San Degio - Tijuana is the other outlier being in a comparable situation.

Metro Detroit's in its own category when it comes to love of the automobile and it shows the building patterns of the region mirror the greater region and the Northeastern US as a whole the commuting and living patterns look much more like the LA or the Sunbelt. Detroit has a out sized influence on it's block. Lansing & London are stretches the latter much more so as there isn't a tendril of growth along the 401 like I-96 but Chatham - Kent is growing pretty and has strong ties with the two big cities of SW Ont. which it is about half way between.

With Lansing and London & Toledo included into the Detroit CSA there's a population of ~7.1 - 7.2 million for a greater metro area, it's a stretch now but in a decade or so I can see the need for a revaluation.

Here's a image that ties into what I'm talking about the first image below shows the dominate metro based on commuter patterns Detroit has one of the biggest areas of influence although geography plays a role.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/urban...-regional.html

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection