View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm talking specifically about the celebrations; the beads, tourists, music and parades is within a one/ two week window of Mardi Gras itself.
Yeah, I know what you mean... tourists... yes, mainly from about a week or so before Mardi Gras, and peaking in population from the Friday before until Ash Wednesday.

But celebrations (parades, music, parties, etc.) start on Epiphany and continue until Mardi Gras. I experienced it firsthand for 5 years in my mid 20s.

For example, in this coming year, there are 23 krewe parades in New Orleans proper (not including all the celebrations in Old Metairie and in any of the other suburbs) between Jan 6th and Feb 16th. Mardi Gras is Feb 25th. Locals definitely party hard the whole time... not much work really gets done in New Orleans from around Christmas to Ash Wednesday.

Anyway, this is way off topic obviously. But was only made to tongue-in-cheek point out the unproven claim of "Manhattan has more people on its 22sq miles than the entire 227 sq miles of Chicago - residential, tourist, office, etc."