View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
So what was this Pasadena Electric Express Co....an obscure rail line?
I've done some Googling, and it appears that the Pasadena Electric Express Company was an early freight or "drayage" company. There are various news articles relating to the company, including tales of a drunken Spaniard being injured by one of their cars, and another about stolen bread boxes being discovered at their depot. I found the stamps below on Ebay:

Ebay

The description says:

"These labels were used in the Los Angeles area probably in the 20's & 30's. The Pasadena Electric Express provided service over the Pacific Electric urban rail service. The two "Electric Express & Storage" might possibly be either a forerunner of [or] followed the Pasadena labels. Service was 10 cents."

Various sources also list an address for the Pasadena Electric Express Company at 400 S Fair Oaks Avenue, Pasadena. This is from the Thurston’s Residence and Business Directory of Pasadena, Altadena and Lamanda Park, 1924.

Pasadena Digital History Collaboration

I'm not sure if this is the same company, but here's a snippet I found on www.erha.org:

"In the early days, Southern California's first electric railway freight business was begun by a private company. "The Pasadena & Los Angeles Electric Express Company", using two box motors. The line also had one more first: the first combination baggage-mail car was operated on its tracks."

Last edited by HossC; Sep 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Added Thurston's info.