View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Now, I have no problem with Eadie's choice of words, as has been said, they swear to each other all the time behind close doors - which this email was supposed to signify. However why is it that even our Councillors are nimby's?

I am probably going to sound rash and immature here, but I am getting extremely frustrated with the mentality of the citizens of this city. Once again, another ignorant question coming here, but why in the world is everyone so against density in this city? I would much prefer a line of streets filled with multifamily units such as Verve, over single family units.
In regards to your questions, councillors are generally Nimby's in these controversial cases if the majority (or vocal minority) are also NIMBYs. Politicians want to keep their jobs, and they do this best by not angering or riling up their electorate. It's often as simple as that.

In regards to your second question, not everyone is against density. It's just that people have different preferences. For young professionals, students, urban-minded folk like we find here, and even empty nesters, it may be appealing to live in a smaller condo in a high density area. However, not everyone shares this mentality, which is fine. Some people want to have quiet streets, a backyard, proximity to good schools, and the convenience of free parking. Sometimes, people perceive higher density neighbourhoods as unsafe, dirty and noisy. People with kids may find it harder to get to activities etc. by only the bus or walking. So, while high density is appealing to some, so are other urban forms to others.