View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
It's not just about biking everywhere, like bike lanes on circle drive would fix the problem.

Biking from Stonebridge to downtown is an improvement over a car but doesn't change the fact that the density in Stonebridge is too low and there is no easy, non-vehicle access to basic services.

I get that people like 2500 sqft houses and big back yards.

I bet deep fried bacon tastes real good but it's probably not a good idea either.
I just bought a condo in Stonebridge recently and have been biking to the University the past week and I can't believe how terrible it is. My only routes to leave the area are Clarence or Preston. My condo is very close to Clarence so I took that route and was not impressed. I seemed way out of my element and dominated by vehicles while biking past the big box mall. The added lane of cars turning North on Clarence from the mall makes biking very challenging as I have to cut across that line to get to the far right. After 8th street, Clarence becomes two lanes and I constantly have vehicles right on my ass behind me. Generally, they pass me while in the same lane making it very dangerous, or they ride two feet behind my back wheel and proceed to honk, swear, or flip me off when they go by...and I'm supposed to be motivated to bike?

Lately, I have been taking Preston out of the neighbourhood. This route is a little bit longer for me as I have to go out of my way East, but Preston is pretty much only one lane so I can just stick close to the parked cars without feeling endangered. However, crossing the intersection of Preston and the freeway is ridiculous. Terrible planning with no regards for bicycling.

Oh, how I miss College Park and taking 14th Street...