View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 9:21 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
This "Colleges at ASU" concept is so stupid and won't fly in today's economy if ASU expect cities to foot the bill. The 2006 bond passage that funded ASU downtown was a sheer product of the boom, one of the lasting impressions of such irrational exhuberance. To think Phoenix could pull off such a huge investment yet again to expand the campus beyond its current scope is all but out of the question. Goodyear is obviously in the same boat.

Just let the community colleges offer 4 year degrees already!
Im not against some of the CCs maybe offering 4 year degrees of graduating one or two of them (GCC and MCC probably) into 4 year state schools, but I think its silly to totally dismiss the Colleges at ASU plan.

Both the Goodyear Mayor and West Valley businessmen seem to think it can work, and I'd assume/hope they know more about the finances of Goodyear than you or I. Goodyears sales tax numbers are still pretty average compared to other Valley cities, they could perhaps do another slight raise there to help cover costs for the college (which would pay off in the long run) or find some other ways to cover the costs.

I find it interesting that Lake Havasu City and Snowflake have expressed interest. If it costs at least $35M to start a campus for 5K students I wonder how those smaller cities would be able to afford it. I guess Lake Havasu City is about the same size as Goodyear but I doubt its growing as fast, nor is it connected to a major metro like Goodyear. The Goodyear campus would obviously draw students from around the S.W. Valley. It seems like Yuma, Prescott, or suburban Valley cities would maybe be better fits than Snowflake.

Anyway, Ive got major respect for this Goodyear mayor. He seems to be working hard to make sure his city isn't just another forgettable blob like so many other Valley suburbs. Between their well thought out plans for their future Downtown, attracting the two Ohio teams for spring training and bringing in Higher Education with Franklin Pierce and ASU the guy at the very least seems to have a vision.