View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 10:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

June 30, 2014

Video Link

A gorgeous summer day in St. John's.

Skipper and his missus were sot up in one of the busiest intersections in Rabbittown right at the bottom of my street reading the paper.

Walking downhill toward downtown. I really love the change that's happening lately where people are going SUPER bold with their colours. It was always bright, but the colours were just more saturated versions of normal, suburban colours. Since the suburbs are now that colourful, homeowners downtown are going all out.

My favourite thus far is bright purple with powder blue trim and orange shutters/door.

Skeets guarding the stairs to bum smokes from folks descending to the downtown.

It was so nice to see a few people on the go. The city has felt deserted with all the 8C weather over the past few todays. It was still a little dead by the time I got to go downtown, but I cherished every minute just the same.

Wing'in It is a VERY popular and expanding local wings franchise, and it's close to new Gower Street, which cuts through Old Town with its modernity.

The Queen's Road Store has been a local landmark my entire lifetime, and probably much longer. It's not quite a dep like our superettes, but close.

George Street was pretty full for before end-of-workday, which was lovely. And although it wasn't hot enough for the hotties to have their shirts off, at least they were out.

Take it off!

This is not a self portrait:

The corner of George Street, Water Street, and Beck's Cove.

Looking down Water Street toward Fortis Place:

Ziggy Peelgood's, man. You don't even know. Fries, dressing, and gravy at 4 a.m. on George Street. Yes, ma'am.

My ratio of visible minorities to whites in many of these photos is higher than the city's average, BUT that's how it was in the downtown today. Very nice to see!

It's tobacco, though. Not weed.

Water Street East, heading away from the bustling area.

A couple of violinists were out doing their thing.

The steep stairs next to the Supreme Court of Newfoundland:

Heading toward Harbourside Park and the National Memorial Memorial. We could hear bagpipes, apparently there was an impromptu session on the go. Some hipsters even joined in with drums.

Like a dream, b'ys.

I took about 10 photos of the crowd playing the bagpipes. I chose this one for an obvious reason.

Heading back uphill and home. A view toward the National War Memorial from Duckworth Street.

Metroverse. At all the bus stops, they have excerpts by local writers. I love this city.