View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 11:21 PM

More news for the Pearl

Now official:
The Twig Book Shop is moving

and also, looks like Andrew Weissman, owner of il Signo, already at the Pearl, is closing Le Rêve on Pecan to expand more at the Pearl.
from mysa.com
Quote:
Weissman is going to consolidate his operations at the Pearl Brewery, the urban redevelopment complex just north of downtown.

“I was afforded a great, great opportunity to expand my culinary empire and spend more time with my family,” Weissman said. “This is a way to be with my family and grow my business.”

Ranked as the sixth-best restaurant in the country by Gourmet magazine, Le Rêve is known for its perfectly balanced flavors and intricate presentation.

Weissman has amassed a small culinary empire, with Sandbar Fish House and Seafood Market next door to Le Rêve, Sip on Houston Street, Big'z Burger Joint on Loop 1604 near Huebner Road, and his newest venture, Osteria Il Sogno at the Pearl.

For the Pearl, a chef of Weissman's pedigree adds to the culinary attractions of the complex, which includes the third U.S. campus of the Culinary Institute of America and cookbook author Melissa Guerra's import store. Sandbar is moving there in October, and CIA grad Johnny Hernandez plans to open a Mexican restaurant called La Gloria.

“We feel like he has brought a lot to Pearl in terms of supporting our mission,” said Darryl Byrd, director of Pearl operations. “Some things just sort of organically come together and work very well, and we want to see where it goes.”

As part of Weissman's plan, he's proposing four new places at the Pearl.
“I'm looking at doing a die-hard Spanish tapas place,” he said. “I'm not holding anything back.”

Still, Weissman said, closing Le Rêve is “bittersweet.”

“I know it's trite, but one chapter ends, and another starts,” he said.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925