View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 2:23 AM

A few downtown office projects that are noteworthy to show off.

The Krause Gateway Center has been completed for months now, but I realized I never posted completion photos of this masterpiece! This is the headquarters for the Kum and Go Convenience Store chain and their subsidiary companies.

This sculpture was just added to mark the 10th anniversary of the sculpture garden you see in the foreground. Joining the growing list of cities around the world with variations of this sculpture.

Pappajohn Sculpture Park

Meanwhile, on the other end of downtown, another unique to the marketplace building is completed and occupied. The mass timber-constructed 111 E. Grand project.

This project is called Miesblock, adjacent to a Mies Van Der Rohe-designed building next door. The metal panel system on this building actually has perforations that are maps of the 3 German cities where Mies oversaw the Bauhaus School, as it moved around during the intensification of the Nazi regime. Kind of an interesting gesture to the famous architect I must say. This building is 18,000 sq. ft. and will have first floor restaurant space available. A complimentary 8-story apartment building is proposed behind this site.

Des Moines' development discussion forum, project updates, and photo gallery page.