View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Why would they be or who in their right mind would be;

- 50,000 square-foot flagship Liquor Mart at True North Square would be the largest liquor store in Canada (and the liquor store with the worst location in Canada)

- lease offer that signed without any market analysis

-probably would never turn a profit at the location based on the lease

-up to $9-million worth of tenant improvement costs

-CEO of the Crown corporation Peter Hak doubts sales would make the location viable

-thanks speNDP for signing a lease that the MLLCC can't get out of, great job!
Point by point

1. a) What are you talking about? It would be a fantastic location, right in a new Class AA office space, by the convention centre, by the arena, literally by a public plaza, by the Sutton hotel and TNS proposed apartments, not to mention all existing office space.

b) Well the size is totally ridiculous. But I love a great wine, whisky or beer, so this sounds like Disneyland and I want it. That's the extent of the reasoning I can give on that.

2. Yup.... I've never heard of a deal like this with no market analysis. Quite simply, not sure if anything could support a liquor store of this size, but half the size? I'd think easily.

3. It probably won't turn a profit not due to consumer traffic, but due to the very high rental rate. Now multiply that by 2-3x the size of a typical space.

4. I don't care, I want this and I love this. As far as I'm concerned, I can totally endorse this mistake.