View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
I think you're underselling the area and especially this specific lot, just a bit. Just two lots down Pembina you have around a half-dozen restaurants -- Santa Lucia's, the Wings place, Shwarma Khan. North one or two lots is an other half-dozen or so restaurants and Tim Hortons. A bit further at 8 minutes to the South on pembina there's an other cluster of shops, restuarants including Shoppers.

Right in the back yard of the tower is Superstore, a price-competitive huge grocer with good quality, as well as autopac and a in-store liquor mart. The walk to university is ~19 minutes according to Google Maps. If 19 minutes is too far of a walk then I don't know what to tell you. A bit further north, it's about 11 minutes walk fro the new rapid transit corridor exit on Markham, and all that goes with that (an other Shoppers, Giant Tiger, Safeway, etc etc). I've lived right in the middle of the Plateau neighborhood in Montreal and it arguably was not as nice as this (granted, it did look much nicer).
I'm sure that Pembina and Bison is probably a bit better for walkability than average when it comes to suburban MURBs in that there are places you can actually walk to, but if you have ever been around there you will know it is an unpleasant walk. Which is generally the case when you're walking next to a route designated as a "highway". So it's a bit disingenuous of the developer to sell this as some kind of walkable area to unsuspecting students who will end up being sorely disappointed.

Walking through the vast open field to the U of M campus might be pleasant enough in June but it's not something I'd be keen on doing in January. Also, walking along a broad, relatively fast moving arterial street lined with parking lots to get to a big box store is not really my idea of a good walkable environment, but to each their own