View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 8:18 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
you mad bro? let's not get bogged down in how hipstery the logo is...

i completely agree with you on west colfax portion...the rest is debatable, imperfect, and certainly not locked in stone in this fantasy of ours.

my point is that there are other factions of people with the same pursuit in mind...the more on board and unified, the better. they should be welcomed in the fold (who knows, they might see it the other way around). i've gone ahead and emailed them.
I admire there pluck, but I also think that a lot of their routes border on the asinine. Nothing should cut through Wash Park or the Highlands as the ridership isn't there. If the B-Cycle stations, bicycle lanes, and da' bus aren't getting gigantic ridership, what makes people think that the streetcar will? We need to be focusing on taking the heavily traveled routes in Denver and improving them, once that occurs we can look at adding additional routes should demand warrant it. But putting a streetcar route through Wash Park or the Highlands, where's there zero potential for densification, is not a good strategy and it ultimately will end up disillusioning people when you finally have to tell them that a streetcar is not going to be streaming down South Gaylord Street.

While I'm sure that this is meant to get people talking about, and excited for, transit expansion in Denver it's an overzealous vision with many fatal flaws. That it basically only goes where the white people are and where transit usage is lower is probably unintentional, but pretty damn discriminatory when you think about it. I guess we want to keep the non-white in NW and SE Denver where they belong, eh?

Coalition building for transit is a must, and these guys should be brought into the fold, but this proposal is one that needs a bit of work.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein