View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Great post, esquire!

I really only have two suggestions for Winnipeg as it continues to develop (that process alone will take care of all the others).

1. Enough with the Tyndall stone. The city needs some colour. No more beige buildings and pale concrete streets, unless you build the Maltese architecture to match. What you have now is great, and it'll make a beautiful and distinct core for the city's future, but it's time for more colour.

2. Build more bridges. The city has two rivers and only a handful of bridges. The only hardships I ever had commuting in Winnipeg were the bottlenecks around the bridges. Cities with Winnipeg's population should have many times more bridges. Even poor ones - Sarajevo, Bosnia, has more bridges per city block than Winnipeg has in total. And you could walk across its river.

Other than that, rapid transit wasn't even that big an issue for me. Everything moved very fast - faster then here, for example - except the parking lots the roads turned into around the bridges. Build more bridges and your perception of traffic problems will greatly decrease.

Oh, and one other:

3. Fuck the Globe & Mail. The Human Rights Museum is a beautiful building!
Thanks for the comments. The bridge issue isn't one that hadn't really struck me before... but now that you mention it, we could do with a couple more river crossings, particularly within the inner parts of the city. The problem is that any new crossings would automatically lead to very busy streets leading to it, and any such project would get NIMBY'd to death. I'm not sure where you could build such a thing without it becoming a major issue... there hasn't been a new traffic crossing built in the inner city since the Midtown Bridge went up in the 1960s.

(I concede that I wouldn't be too thrilled with a new route like that in my own backyard... I live in an area that was, according to a 1960s plan, supposed to have an extended Grant Avenue run east, toward and over the Red River. Something like that being built would mean having a busy arterial running through my area... that would not be exactly the most welcome news IMO.)