View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
The last time I was in Regina I was struck by not only the size of the office towers there but the volume. Given that capital city's tend to be more government focused (thus less business-focused), one would think there wouldn't be very many office towers, or that they would be pretty small, yet the opposite is true. I am from Victoria which is half again the size of Regina and is arguably the business center for Vancouver Island (population about 750,000) yet it doesn't haveone office building over twelve stories and only three buildings over ten stories. Regina has thirteen office towers over thirteen stories so my question is, what could you possibly need all that office space for?
Well, Regina has the lowest office vacancy rate in Canada. Second, Regina also has infinitely more prowess in Saskatchewan than Victoria does in B.C. with regards to the need for offices located in a centralish location [Saskatoon is similar]. Thirdly, in B.C., Vancouver is clearly the primate city ---- for obvious reasons. Fourth, the economic bases of Regina and Victoria are vastly different. Lastly, Victoria --- really --- is not in a convenient location; even though it is a beautiful city !!! 'been there, done that.