View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 6:12 PM
JFDinJax, founded c.1998

Really, the thing that astonishes me the most about St. Louis is how much of the city is intact after losing almost 60% of its population over the past half-century. Coming from the Sunbelt, I'm used to a certain mentality that what is old is expendable, and as soon as it's blighted, it's bull-dozed. I believe that when a city grows too fast, it puts on 'future goggles' and has less regard for the past. I see this over and over in a lot of Sunbelt cities.

It's really comforting learning how different things are where it counts the most: in the older, more established cities. Maybe it's just that the age and size of the cities meant that much could be lost and much would still remain. Whatever the reason, there's simply a lot left to work with, vacant lots aside. While the empty lots give me a numb feeling, boarded up or crumbling houses still could have a future, and that brings a smile to my face.

Added to that, I think St. Louis is doing a good job of experimenting with and perfecting infill projects. Though some are less than ideal, at worst they at least increase the number of decent housing units and attract new residents, and at best, they mend some of the torn fabric of this great city.

Last edited by village person; Dec 14, 2006 at 6:24 PM.