View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Beach home of Jesse Lasky (one of the founders of Paramount Pictures) Santa Monica, Calif.

old file / eBay

-not sure why beauty queens are walking by.

Does anyone know; is this massive home still standing?

__
I think the bathing beauties are just pasted on.

(The flowering vines, cascading from the cliff top, are a fantasy too)

"'Our Santa Monica beach house, 609 Ocean Front, was a two-storey hacienda surrounding a garden with a fountain. It originally had twelve guest suites...[which] my father enlarged..still further. We became a kind of hotel for the famous...I can remember no time when we were not inundated with house guests. – Jesse L. Lasky, Jr.

Filled with antiques and guests, the Lasky home became a magnet for stars, performers, and executives. From hosting lavish open air extravaganzas to spontaneous get-togethers, the beach house was where Hollywood culture maven Bess Lasky held court."
- welcome to silent movies

If Jesse Jr has the address right, the home is gone:

google maps

The Lasky place was across from the Sorrento/Gables:

ucla

Caption:
"Bird's-eye view of Santa Monica shoreline, with cliffs at left, Pacific Coast Highway and vehicles in foreground, Spanish-style building complex, with Jesse L. Lasky residence near center, and other buildings in midground, beach, ocean, and Santa Monica Pier in background. On the left side of the Pacific Coast Highway constructed against the cliff is a tall building with the sign "Sorrento Beach" painted on the side; this is probably the Gables hotel, which was never completed and was demolished in the 1970's., Text from negative sleeve"

jesse-l-lasky.com notes that Lasky traded Paramount shares and the beach house to Harry Warner for $250K in 1930

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 11, 2015 at 6:02 AM. Reason: embed links