View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
It is only inherently dangerous when someone on Wanuskewin Rd or RR3052 needs to cross hwy11 or make a left onto it (which seems like virtually every time I drive hwy11). The sightlines are OK, but the speed of approaching cars seems too difficult for many people to judge or process.
When it comes to this kind of crossing I tend to be overly cautious when driving onto a high speed hwy, I give several hundred meters of space before pulling ahead (and I'm a hard accelerator) but there are usually too many vehicles to do this here, and stopping in the median is the worst thing to do because 1 in every 5 SB vehicles is making the left turn onto Wanuskewin so you gotta do all 5 lanes at once (and the crown of the road makes it hard to tell if approaching vehicles are in the left or right lane). Also those left turning vehicles make it hard to judge timing because it takes them a long time and distance to slow down. Knowing how many careless drivers there are in general I get incredibly anxious at locations like this, as do others and it only makes conditions worse.
I'd disagree with a couple of points in your post which I've bolded. The number of SB vehicles turning left onto Waneskewin is exactly what obscures the sightlines at the intersection. As for the number of vehicles making that turn, I'd estimate that approximately half of the SB Highway 11 vehicles are turning onto Waneskewin during the morning commute.

At that time of day, I'd say that it's virtually impossible to safely cross Highway 11 from east to west all in one shot, as you suggest and not much better if you stop in the median area, as you still can't see.

It's just a terrible situation during peak traffic flow. Given that Highways are not going to install traffic lights it sounds like a reduced speed limit through there will be the most likely change. It won't fix the problem, but should somewhat lessen the carnage.