View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Hmm... interesting. I believe that most districts are pretty much evenly distributed in terms of their populations and electors with St. John's metro having, on average, slightly higher numbers in both categories. Given that, it doesn't seem logical to cut the number of St. John's seats, but I realize that argument is more political than mathematical in nature.

The smaller districts by sheer numbers seem to be South Coast and Labrador. It would make sense to consolidate in those districts first. However, no matter what way you slice it up it's gonna draw some heat one way or another. Definitely not an easy task.

Does anyone else find it ironic that Yvonne Jones questioned the number of seats in St. John's? You know, given the fact she represented one of the smallest districts in the province... food for thought.
I believe at the time she mentioned it the Liberals were still a non-factor in the city. The Liberals have historically been stronger in rural areas so it's not surprising they wouldn't want seats lost in there.

Here's a list of the population of each district and it's population change between 2006 and 2011. http://www.stats.gov.nl.ca/Statistic...L_PED_2011.pdf