View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I remember riding a St Mary's bus downtown 1982-ish and the transfer did say St. Germain. I always thought that it went passed the Perim. Hwy., but I guess not.

Wish WT had better quality schedules back then and I wish the Internet existed back then.

Ride By Route Number (September 8, 1984). Winnipeg Free Press. pg. 19

14 St. Mary's used to say St. Germain...now says South St. Vital
14 St. Mary's used to say Avalon ... now says Bishop Grandin

It's possible that Metro 1960s or the Greater Winnipeg Transit Commission of the 1950s had or proposed to have service out to the community of St. Germain, Manitoba, an area just south of flood prone Grande Pointe.

https://roadsidethoughts.com/mb/sain...th-profile.htm

There is a St. Germain St. in St. Vital. I wonder if that is what was meant

https://winnipegtransit.com/en/route...rmain%20Street

Back then there were but two branches to the 16 Osborne:
16 Osborne used to say Southdale...now says Vermillion
16 Osborne used to say Hwy. 1 East ... now says Lakewood

81 Headingley used to say Unicity ... now says Roblin or Unicity

Also interesting tidbit...The 12 William used to travel on Regent to KP.
I was looking at some old maps but none were definitive about where St. Mary's - St. Germain buses turned around. On one map c.1960 it appears that the route did extend past today's Perimeter Hwy. out to St. Germain. I wonder if it was subsequently cut back? I know when St. Vital Centre opened in 1979 there wasn't much on St. Mary's south of there. I remember the old loop right on St. Anne's in the middle of nowhere past Southglen Blvd.

A couple of interesting things I found looking at a 1947 map. North Kildonan buses went to Henderson and Pritchard Farm in East St. Paul, and one of the Portage West routes went past St. Charles St. to where Bloomberg is today. There were a few trips to Lot 70 Turnbull Drive in St. Norbert just as there are today. What is the purpose of these trips? Are they utilized? They are at strange times.

I also remember Osborne - Dakota which turned around in a loop at Dakota and Novavista and also Osborne -Kingston Row which like today were mostly rush hour "trippers" or late night buses. There were more trippers then as headways were quite a lot shorter, some were Portage - Olive, North Main - McAdam, and every second Sargent bus was Sargent - Valour.

Before route numbering and the new roller signs were introduced in 1984, the old signage in many cases didn't make sense anymore. I don't think there was a Unicity destination sign. Grant buses to Unicity were signed Grant - St. Charles on the front and Grant - Charleswood on the side, but there were also Grant - Charleswood buses that turned around at Roblin and Dieppe. Buses to RRCC were signed Grant - King Edward on the front and Grant - Kenaston on the side, but there were actually a few Grant - Kenaston trips that turned around in a loop on the south side of Grant just past Kenaston. There were a few confusing route names. Talbot buses were called Talbot - Bird's Hill even though Bird's Hill Road had been renamed Panet many years prior and the bus actually went to Munroe and Prevette. I remember talking to two girls in what must have been the early 80s going to Folk Fest waiting for the Talbot bus as they thought that would get them there!

Yes, I remember the 12 William (formerly William - Valour) did run through to KP, that's why it still has a crosstown route number. But I think the eastern and western portions of the route had very differing service requirements and so the eastern portion got its own route as 43 Munroe, kind of like how the old Talbot - Grey branch became its own route, now 44 Grey, which routing is, to say the least, ridiculous, some of them don't even go down Grey St. at all.