View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 9:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I guess these city-suburb relationships are more pronounced in the Midwest due to the heavy centralization in metros like Chicago, Detroit, etc?
i don't know if it's centralization so much as it is just general stagnation for decades on end.

in a growing/thriving metro area where the rising tide lifts both city and suburban boats, there's just less to fight about, but when the game gets a lot more zero-sum, the claws come out more often as people seek to protect what they perceive as "theirs".

and when you throw in the black/white racial divide which is very pronounced in midwest metros, and often along city/suburb lines, the finger pointing just gets that much more antagonistic.

on that last point, as chicago burbs have gotten a lot more racially/ethnically diverse over the past couple decades, i think that has played a role in softening some of the suburban ire that used to be directed solely toward the city in the past.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 30, 2019 at 9:33 PM.