View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 10:10 PM
New Yorker for life

September 8, 2013

http://www.downtownexpress.com/2013/...c-b-1-resists/

Trinity backs a new look for Wall St., but C.B. 1 resists

September 12, 2013

Quote:
Trinity Church’s soaring steeple was the tallest point in New York City when it was capped in 1846. It lost that title in 1890 and in 2017, it will be surpassed by the church’s newest project, a 30-plus-story glass tower sprouting from its backyard.

The plans met with disapproval from Community Board 1’s Financial District Committee on Monday night when Rev. Dr. James Cooper and Jason Pizer, president of Trinity Real Estate, presented the chosen design by Pelli Clarke Pelli.

But Trinity agreed to return to the community board with more details as the project progressed, and were commended for their willingness to come before the board even though it is an as-of-right project, meaning that developers have no obligations to do so.

I don’t think it looks like Wall St. and Downtown,” said Joel Kopel. “I think the building should look more, yes updated, but I think the building should be more in tune with the neighborhood… tourists come down here from all over the world and the last thing they need to see is another building that looks like it’s on East 59th St.”

“I think this project is unfortunate for several reasons,” said Megan McHugh, the first being an aesthetic clash with the “majesty” of the iconic view of the church down Wall St.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.