View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
San Francisco does not belong to its suburbs. So much so that the city tore down some of the freeways that suburbanites use to get there and now driving into the city is a complete nightmare. /rant
When I lived in SF, I didn't own a car and never ventured out of The City, "where you can't even hail a cab! Yikes!" (This was before uber/lyft.) Leaving the city on BART was actually a little intimidating to me. I once went to Target via BART and felt completely out of my element and couldn't wait to get out of there. I noticed many people from SF were like me: relative newcomers that knew nothing about the burbs. Sunset felt like the edge of civilization to me. Even where I worked for a while, down in Brisbane, felt like another world. It was on the other side of these little mountains. I'd have to get off the MUNI, and get on some other weird, slow transit system in order to get there. San Francisco geography, on the tip of a peninsula, separated from everything else - and being uniquely urban compared to everything else - makes it its own little world. When you move there from somewhere else, not owning a car, it becomes your whole world.