View Single Post
Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
They’re supposedly releasing their platform next week. Coffin announced yesterday a shocking policy that the NDP would hire more heath care workers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
A very contentious issue, that's for sure. Especially given that we have the highest per capita spending on health care in country (excluding the territories). Although, there are underlying factors at play here. I find this a little surprising seeing that Coffin is an economics prof. If you ask most economists and they'll tell you that we are grossly overspending on health care. I may be jumping the gun here - may be the NDP platform will include ways to create efficiencies in HC, reducing costs in areas without compromising jobs... I guess we'll find out.

However, at the end of the day, saying you will hire more health care workers probably doesn't bode well to many of the voting population.
You may be surprised what the general public think versus what some of us think. There's a general feeling that our health care system is failing (it is), and I'm willing to bet that a lot of people would think that throwing more money at the problem would resolve it. We always hear about the need to hire more nurses, recruit more doctors, and all that stuff. I bet the NDP saying they'll increase health care spending will resonate with people who feel this way.

That being said, I think all of us here know this is the wrong approach. We need to drastically cut our health care spending through a mix of reducing inefficiencies and consolidation of publically-funded rural health clinics.

The NDP (and the Alliance) know they have the upper hand on the campaign trail. They can promise the world knowing very well they have no way of forming government to follow through with said promises. Best case scenario for them is that they get a few seats in the house to push for these promises knowing very well the party in power and the opposition won't listen to them.