View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Name recognition goes a long way in NL politics. It'll likely come down to a balancing act between "Galgay....I know him" and "Galgay....I know him.....what a dick".

I'm still leaning heavy Liberal for Mount Scio. It's a St. John's district (or is made of previous districts such as St. John's North) that has a long history of electing Liberal MHA's. Since none of the candidates stand out above the other, I'll default to the district electing the party which is currently the flavour of the week, the Liberals.

Hasan Hai is pretty well known, and is very popular among a lot of different groups of people. I'm giving him Mount Pearl-Southlands for that alone. The only real people who take issue with him are the far-right idiots who think he's a terrorist.

Nice to see you posting again, Posc. It's been a while, but I knew a politics discussion could draw you outta the corner
The Paradise area that was joined with St. John’s North was also a strong PC area. Kirby had one of the lowest performances for a Liberal in the province back in 2015, though that was probably a reflection of him more so than the party. It’ll definitely be a race to watch but I think the PCs are the ones to lose.

Hassan Hai was a good catch for the Liberals. That area had not typically been a great area for Liberals so I’m wondering if his own brand is enough to put him over the edge. Paul Lane is the wildcard here and makes the race interesting. Did he get enough popularity from getting booted from the Liberals to be a contender? He narrowly won this seat in 2015 despite being the incumbent against a weak PC Party. If Gillian Pearson could hold onto the support the PCs won in 2015 it’d be enough for her to win. Not being a recognizable name will probably hurt her. Being female might be a help though. Unknown females did very well in the St. John’s municipal election, but who knows if that translates over to provincial politics.

And thanks. I’ve continued to follow along but rarely get a chance to post. I usually catchup on my phone and it can be harder to respond.